BYLAWS OF THE VOLUNTEERS OF CHANNEL ISLANDS MARITIME MUSEUM
ARTICLE I – NAME The name of this group shall be the Volunteers of Channel Islands Maritime Museum.
ARTICLE II – MISSION The mission of this group is to be the primary support to museum staff and to various operations of the Channel Islands Maritime Museum.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: Any volunteer who is a paid-up member of the Museum may be a member of the group.
Section 2: The annual volunteer dues shall be payable on or before January 31st of each year.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
Section 1: The officers of the group shall be a Chair, a Vice Chair, and a Secretary/Treasurer. No person may serve in the same office for more than two consecutive years.
Section 2: No later than the September meeting of each year, a nominating committee Chair shall be appointed. At least three additional members shall be named by the nominating committee Chair. Any member may serve on the nominating committee. It shall be the duty of this committee to nominate candidates for the officers for the following calendar year. The nominating committee shall determine, amongst themselves, those persons it considers to be the best prospective officers and subsequently contact those persons to ascertain their willingness to accept the nomination. More than one nominee for any office may be offered.
Section 3: The list of nominees shall be presented by the nominating committee to members no later than the October meeting. Nominations may be made from the floor at that meeting. Voting for the officers will occur at the November meeting.
Section 4: Election for officers shall be held at the November meeting and the results shall be announced. The term of the new officers shall be one year, commencing January 1st.
ARTICLE V – DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
- Presides over meetings,
- Develops agendas for meetings,
- Appoints all committee chairs as necessary,
- Notifies telephone tree of events to be communicated,
- Attends Board of Trustees meetings as a full voting member.
- Acts as general liaison between staff and volunteers.
- Acts in above capacities in event of chair’s absence,
- Acts as captain of day captains,
- Holds quarterly captains meeting,
- Coordinates museum volunteer staffing
- Plans summer picnic and holiday dinner party,
- Coordinates the reports of the standing committees.
- Takes and maintains minutes of monthly volunteer meetings,
- Receives annual volunteer dues in January,
- Maintains records and reports on balances in account at monthly meetings,
- Assumes chair responsibilities in absence of chair and vice chair,
- Maintains records of volunteer hours for awards and grant consideration.
ARTICLE VI – MEETINGS
Meetings shall be held monthly, and/or as otherwise determined by the membership.
ARTICLE VII – COMMITTEES
Such committees, standing or special, may be appointed by the chair as deemed necessary.
ARTICLE VIII – AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
These bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting of the volunteers by a two-thirds vote of those present. Twenty per cent (20%) of the members shall constitute a quorum. The secretary shall furnish a copy of these bylaws to any member upon request
ADOPTED May 19, 2004